[lug] How to set up a private FTP account for a user?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Mar 30 10:30:25 MST 2006

I've got a need to provide upload/download FTP service for one of my
clients, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got a RedHat FC2
server set up with vsftpd, and I have set up a public FTP download
service on it that works very well. However, I would like to allow
specific users passworded access to some private areas and allow them to
upload and download files via FTP. I don't want to allow them program
execution, email, and other privileges that would go along with a normal
new user account.

I've searched Google and and the docs and man pages, but I'm afraid I
don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Most of these resources simply
describe settings, but they don't say when and how you would use them to
do what I want to do. (Or maybe I'm just too thick to recognize the
obvious.)

I'm also aware that FTP is not the most secure transfer protocol because
passwords are sent in the clear, but I'd like to learn how to do this
with vsftp anyway and worry about additional applications later (One
thing a time.)

Can anyone suggest a HOWTO or a README or maybe just tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
- Bill Thoen