[lug] Time zone grumbling

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Mar 31 15:15:39 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 12:14:14PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> This is not a timezone problem but a hwclock problem.  Reboot, get into
> your BIOS setup, add 7 hours to the time, save & exit.  Voila.
>
> You'll notice when you go into the BIOS that your clock is showing local
> time.  But by saying "use UTC" you told Debian it was UTC.
>
> Alternatively you can change UTC=yes to UTC=no in /etc/default/rcS.
> That will be the same as if you hadn't said "use UTC" and the boot
> scripts will understand that your hardware clock is in local time.  Do
> this if you dual boot Windows.
>
> Don't mess with any of the timezone stuff.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I didn't have to reboot (I stopped using Windows a long time ago because
reboots should be every few months for hardware upgrades, not daily for poor
OS implementation).

ntpdate followed by hwclock --utc --systohc fixed my problem, thanks everyone!

Still have one question, though... what is the difference between ntpdate and
ntpd?  I have read the man pages, but I still don't get it.  For example, the
ntpdate man page says:

"ntpdate can be run manually as necessary to set the host clock, or it can be
run  from the host startup script to set the clock at boot time.  This is
useful in some cases to set the clock initially before starting the NTP daemon
ntpd."

So does ntpdate set the correct time then ntpd keeps it there, or what?  Why
is ntpdate needed if you have ntpd?