[lug] XGL: You gotta try it!

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Apr 11 11:56:48 MDT 2006

Zan Lynx wrote:
> I finally got my laptop running XGL and Compiz from a Gentoo Portage
> overlay.  There's a HOWTO.
>
> Yeah, I had to use nVidia binary drivers.
>
> But it's really sweet!  It still has rough edges, but right now I think
> I'm rating it higher than OS X Aqua.  Smooth, fast, nifty eye candy.
>
> I haven't tried a Windows Vista beta yet, but I am predicting that MS
> will be hard pressed to beat this, especially on the same hardware.

I test drove the LiveCD.. Very nice.

Two questions:
1. Has anyone ran this long enough to comment on stability?  I took a
look at adding this to my Gentoo workstation about a month ago but the
"Warning: This is very experimental, alpha software." in the HowTo made
me skittish for a box I still need to be able to use each day.

2. Has anyone in the group successfully ran Xgl with Xinerama or NVidia
Twinview?  From Googling it seems folks are having mixed results.

Thanks,
Ken