[lug] Too many files error

Ken Kinder kkinder at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 12:04:43 MDT 2006

I'm working on an application that creates lots of files. To reduce
the number of files in one dir, I have broken the files up into
subdirs. The files are basically md5 hex digests, and I'm taking the
first five chars to determine a directory:

xxxxx/(file)

However, I'm running into "Too many links" as an error upon creating
the directories. This is happening right after the 32,0001st
directory, which seems like an awfully even number. I thought ext3
didn't have this problem.

Thoughts? Anyone have creative solutions for this? I'm barking up the
right tree?

-Ken