[lug] file system frustration - the file that won't die?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Apr 24 19:22:38 MDT 2006

Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 17:21 -0600, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
>
>>This was all as superuser..  So according to "rm" it can't forcibly
>>delete the parent directory because of this "block" file but according
>>to "ls" and "file", the "block" file doesn't exist??
>>
>>lsof doesn't show this directory as being in use and I even tried to
>>reboot to see if I could kill whatever was holding on to it, but no
>>luck.  Filesystem is ReiserFS under LVM2..
>>
>>Suggestions??
>

> Sounds like a job for fsck!  If it is your root partition you may need
> to boot from a rescue CD or initrd / initramfs with ReiserFS fsck tools.
>
> With ReiserFS you may be able to fsck a read-only mounted root
> filesystem, but the ReiserFS tools make *no* guarantees that any file
> access will work after fsck returns, since it may have completely
> rewritten the tree.

Yep.. that did it.  I had to run --rebuild-tree to fix it but it seems
all is well now.  I just overlooked this completely since I hadn't had
any recent crashes, hard reboots or heavy disk activity to corrupt it.
I'm starting to loose faith in Reiserfs these days.. may be time to head
back to XFS..

Thanks!
Ken