[lug] FC 5 on Laptop

Kevin Burns soulblaze at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:56:51 MDT 2006

Never used Fedora Core, so I don't know if these drivers and such are easily
available for it, but I have a dv8000 and have installed and used ubuntu and
gentoo on it.

>Broadcom wireless 802.11b/gWLAN wireless network card doesn't work.
>A company called Linuxent says it can sell him a driver.

In the 2.6.15+ kernels there's a driver for broadcom chipsets, bcm43xx I
believe. you can find information at: http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ .  you need
to use a program that's available there called firmware-cutter I believe.
It takes the firmware from wnidows drivers so you can use the bcm43xx
driver.  Another option is to use ndiswrapper (
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/) which works fine with these cards.  If
you're unfamiliar with how to use it,

>Sound card sounded the test tones OK during install but now there is no
sound.
>Conexant AC-Link Audion

Not Quite sure why this is. You should be using the ALSA driver for ATI IXP
AC97 Controller (module name snd-atiixp).

>He found a driver for the Video.  But at the highest resolution, text is
very small.  At any lower resolution, it is very fuzzy.
>ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 Series

One big thing that takes people awhile to figure out is that to use ati's
fglrx drivers you need to go into BIOS and tell it to use shared+sideport
(again I'm not totally sure what it's called) memory and set it to use 128mb
built in + 128mb shared to have the fglrx accelerated driver work
correctly.  You can get the drivers from
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1176 if Fedora
Core doesn't have any kind of rpm to install propriority drivers.  Or you
can find someone to help you with setting ati's fglrx drivers up in FC5.
The resolution for the laptop is 1440x900 unless you specifically ordered
the higher resolution screen.

>Touchpad works very different.
There should be a utility to set all these options.  The touchpad is a
Synaptic.  If you want to do it manually, you can edit the X11 configuration
file and change/add the following to the section:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "Synaptics"
     Driver "synaptics"

>1) He wants to turn off the "tap to click" function.

Change Option "MaxTapTime" "#" to Option "MaxTapTime" "0"

2) The bottom of the touchpad acts like a scrollbar/Function Key.
For example, if his finger is near the bottom of the touchpad when he is on
the desktop, he cycles through all the open windows - like hitting a
function key very quickly.

To disable the scrollbar change

Option "VertScrollDelta" "#" to Option "VertScrollDelta" "0"

Also I would add Option "SHMConfig" "On" if it's not there already.   This
will allow you to turn the touchpad off if you have the synaptics tools
installed (command line would be "synclient touchpadoff=1" to turn it off
and "synclient touchpadoff=0" to turn it on.

 - Kevin