[lug] 2D cards

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon May 1 08:48:21 MDT 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 04:42:23PM -0600, Tkil wrote:
>
>>Keep in mind that the coming generation of desktop software and
>>environments will likely use features that are accelerated by 3D
>

> Keep in mind that spending the money to handle those future capabilities
> will probably cost more than buying a good enough one now and another good
> enough one for the future needs when that time comes around...  And at that
> time you'll know exactly what specs will be required for what you want to
> do.

Thanks for all the comments.  All things considered I'm leaning towards
purchasing the following:

ASUS EN6600GT/Silencer 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121545

instead of the Matrox card I was considering.  The above card is only
~$50 more than the Matrox G550 PCIe card and is also passively cooled.
I'm still open to suggestions, but it seems to be a good compromise.

Gary