[lug] semi OT: Magnetic Stripe / Credit Card readers

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue May 9 12:23:03 MDT 2006

Ryan Wheaton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the input devices that
> can read magnetic strips?  I'd like to have a USB one that reads a
> credit card, and fills out a sort of "sign up" form from that
> information.  I'd also prefer one that works with Linux (of course).
>
> Also, any idea of a good (online?) store that sells this sort of device?
>  I've found a couple through searching, but none look all that reliable.
>
> thanks,
>
> -ryan

The closest thing that I've seen so far is Stripe Snoop but it uses a
game port or parallel port and you have to modify (solder) a reader for
it to work.  I've heard they were going to eventually work on a USB
version but haven't seen anything.  I picked up a reader to play with
myself and gave it a try but I had some troubles getting it going on the
first shot and haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it since.  The
website gives some info on hardware and vendors.
http://stripesnoop.sourceforge.net/

-Ken