[lug] Running a PHP script as a daemon

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Wed May 17 11:09:06 MDT 2006

Hi all,

I've done some googling on this topic and I have come up short, I thought I
would throw it out here.  I have a php script that essentially connects a
socket to a remote server and listens, when it receives data (XML) it
processes it and stores it in the database.  Since this script needs to run
all the time, what is the best way to handle that?  I'd like a solution that
I can setup to start on system boot, and restart if for some reason PHP
encounters a critical error and crashes (connection drop for example).

The server is running CentOS 4.3 and  PHP 5.0.4.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Jason