[lug] laptop video card Q

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri May 19 18:51:58 MDT 2006

> Seems like nVidia is the way to go for cards, but that limits available
> non-monster-really-laptop-laptops-not-desktop-huge-replacements :P
>
> So...the video card genre seems good. Does anyone here have any comment
> on the laptops themselves...the Sony VAIO series or ASUS or Toshiba
> Tecras? I found some reviews that complain the Sonys are a bit flimsy,
> that the ASUS is well-built. Not sure about the other peripherals on
> each of these, as to whether they are linux compatible or not. Assuming
> I get a laptop, it'll probably have to last me the rest of my life.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

I've had only one experience with a Toshiba laptop and it was not good.
   I picked it up on a great sale but the thing would lockup regularly
and it turned out there was a known motherboard defect that would have
required me to send the thing in for six weeks of repair.  I was lucky
enough to convince the retailer to return it instead of having to
warranty.

I can't speak for any small form factors Sony's, but the desktop
replacement Vaio PCG-K35 runs linux just fine and has been reasonably
sturdy.  My three complaints are mainly due to the Pentium4 chip: 1)
it's hot, 2) battery doesn't last more than a couple hours, 3) it's hot  :)

I've never had any complaints with the T series IBM Thinkpads.  Most of
the configurations are well supported under linux (except the winmodems)
and they are well made.  I've also been very happy with Pentium M chips
as far as heat and battery life..

If you want to check out hardware configurations that are tested with
linux you can check out a linux laptop vendor like www.emperorlinux.com.
-Ken