[lug] Gentoo sources question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon May 29 11:38:39 MDT 2006

I know we have a few Gentoo users in the area, so perhaps someone will
know the answer.

I'm trying to put up a Gentoo system again after a year or more. The
current Gentoo install and livecd stuff doesn't work worth a darn, so
I'm back to the tried and true stage3 tarball method. No problems
downloading and untarring the stage3 tarball and portage snapshot, but
'emerge gentoo-sources' failes looking for
genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2 (not found on any mirror that it
tries).

My memory has failed. How do I find and communicate to portage other
mirrors to try for emerge? Or must I wait several days until they get
around to propagating the patches to the standard mirrors?

Sigh! One of the most frustrating aspects of updating any distro from
the internet is when the developers decide to update something without
pushing all the pieces to the mirrors.

--
Collins Richey