[lug] Gentoo sources question

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Mon May 29 13:02:26 MDT 2006

The heavens stretched forth and Collins Richey decreed the following on
or about 5/29/2006 11:38 AM:
> I know we have a few Gentoo users in the area, so perhaps someone will
> know the answer.
>
> I'm trying to put up a Gentoo system again after a year or more. The
> current Gentoo install and livecd stuff doesn't work worth a darn, so
> I'm back to the tried and true stage3 tarball method. No problems
> downloading and untarring the stage3 tarball and portage snapshot, but
> 'emerge gentoo-sources' failes looking for
> genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2 (not found on any mirror that it
> tries).
>
> My memory has failed. How do I find and communicate to portage other
> mirrors to try for emerge? Or must I wait several days until they get
> around to propagating the patches to the standard mirrors?
>
> Sigh! One of the most frustrating aspects of updating any distro from
> the internet is when the developers decide to update something without
> pushing all the pieces to the mirrors.

Reaching back, I remember using mirrorselect:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Mirrorselect

to find mirrors.  Although, I think I pretty much perma-linked DU's
server in make.conf because it seemed to always win the mirrorselect
process.  Well, it and one in Indiana...

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/