[lug] article on apache bandwidth throttling

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Sat Jun 3 10:34:39 MDT 2006

Hugh Brown wrote:
> I saw this article on LWN.
> http://www.howtoforge.com/mod_cband_apache2_bandwidth_quota_throttling
>
> Has anyone used it and/or know if it is any good?
If you're using Apache 2.0 and not serving binaries a lot, you would probably be better off using mod_deflate.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

My experience with gzipping web pages is that you get a compression
factor of 6. You're trading CPU overhead for bandwidth. When I tested
using Tomcat, I found that my maximum requests serviced per second went
down maybe 5% using GZIP, but my bandwidth when down by 84%.

Compression has a real positive impact for users as well. Instead of a
browser waiting for 12 packets to transit the internet, they get the
data in 2. Running our web calendar as an ASP, one complaint we've never had is that it was slow.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.