[lug] Ubuntu

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:07:07 MDT 2006

On 6/9/06, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/9/06, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:

> > Just a strange comment on Ubuntu.  What is this thing people have about
> > renaming it?
> >
> > We don't call RedHat/Fedora "KredHat" or "XedHat" just because we run
> > KDE or XFCE on it...
> >
> > Heh.
>
> Yeah, but many people call it Dead Rat <grin>.

OTOH, Kubuntu probably needs to be differentiated in Ubuntu land,
since the original Ubuntu is derived from Debian where Gnome is King
and KDE is evil. Even today 90% (IMO) of the effort in Ubuntu goes
into Gnome, and Kubuntu is just an afterthought even though
Shuttleworth is fond of it.

Also Xubuntu is a rather stripped down, low memory usage flavor of
Ubuntu that emphasizes low resource utilization for age-old machines,
so that name is probably justified as well.

--
Collins Richey