[lug] laptop partioning, boot loaders

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 13 15:01:56 MDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 06:50:55AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>it sounds like they will spoof MAC's. OpenVPN for home would be nice.
>Does this stop them from getting to my cable modem's bandwidth, or does
>this just stop them from getting to my systems that are connected to it?

It depends on how you set it up.  You could set it up either way.  I have a
separate guest network and guest AP that can only reach the public network,
and a private AP that can reach the VPN server.  You could combine those
functions into one.

What I do is to set up the OpenVPN server so that it bridges the OpenVPN
"tap" device with the local network, and so once I've established an
OpenVPN connection to the house, I'm a peer on that network.  I can
establish that bridging from anywhere, so I can easily access all machines
on my home network, including printers and other devices.  It's nice that I
can print stuff from the coffee shop and it just goes.

>So...what about hardware? Is the hardware involved at all in the
>security? Does 128 bit WEP stop anything? Or 152 bit WEP? Is there some

It doesn't matter.  Our private network is WEP because our credit card
merchant agreement requires it to be set, even though everything we do over
wireless is encrypted iv a VPN and on top of that sensitive stuff is going
over SSL or SSH...

I'm starting to be of the opinion of just turning on WEP by default to keep
out the annoyances.  When I was in Iceland, our sprint network was
constantly being hit really hard, and I suspect it wasn't from any of the
sprint folks.  I think someone had associated with one of the APs that had
a virus.  We had many people just wander in or near the room we rented and
start using our network.  For this one video conference we were doing, we
just had to disconnect the wireless because of saturation.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Well, what does she expect? You leave your navigator lying around,
 naturally somebody is going to run over him.  -- _Death_Race_2000_