[lug] NSLU2 as backup device

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Jun 15 08:05:34 MDT 2006

A followup on my continuing adventures with a NSLU2 box.  (Reminder:
this is a $100 network drive controller that can be easily used as a
general purpose Linux box.  It has a 133MHz ARM processor. I'm running
Debian on mine.)

I set up rdiff-backup and have run it against my desktop several times.
It took about 6 hours to sync an unmodified 10 GB dataset.  Maybe it's
SSH killing me, or maybe it's just too underpowered for this.

The other possibility is using the NSLU2 as the file server (providing
NFS partitions) and running rdiff-backup locally to a second hard disk.
That would be faster, but that defeats the purpose of having the backup
server physically separate from the protected system(s).