[lug] NSLU2 as backup device

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jun 15 08:26:27 MDT 2006

Bear Giles wrote:
[...]
> I set up rdiff-backup and have run it against my desktop several times.
> It took about 6 hours to sync an unmodified 10 GB dataset.  Maybe it's
> SSH killing me, or maybe it's just too underpowered for this.

So that's 485KBps or 3.9Mbps.  Be interesting if you could figure out
the bottleneck.  But your guess of CPU vs. SSH sounds good to me (you
could always try it over rsh).  And the NSLU2 probably wasn't designed
with throughput in mind.

For finding the bottleneck, maybe this helps:

http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/Week-of-Mon-20060102/031365.html

I wanted to run that on an old DEC and see what the holdup was on Wiki
pages loading but the disk crashed before I got there.

Dave