[lug] VPN suggestions

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Thu Jun 15 12:40:54 MDT 2006

Hi all,

I know various components of this question have been covered recently, so I
apologize ahead of time for the duplication.  Even reading over all the
discussions I haven't been able to come up with a good solution for my VPN
needs.  I thought I would toss my situation out here and see if I can get
some good comments on what would work best for me.

I have 3 servers, in 3 physical separate locations all running CentOS 4.3.
Two of the servers sit in data centers and have their own dedicated IP
addresses behind IP tables.  These boxes are doing generally mundane things
like email and web serving.  I have one additional server that I use for
testing and development that sits in my house.  In my house I have a
standard plain old cable connection from Comcast, connected to a WRT54G
running the latest Sveasoft firmware (which has VPN capabilities built in).
Behind that sits the server, and all of my desktop machines (a blend of OS X
and Windows).  I've been playing with Hamachi and I like it.  I really only
have two major complaints about it, and those are that every client in the
network must also have the Hamachi client running, and that the clients
communicate over a separate "internal" IP address and I can't seem to do
name resolution.

My ideal solution would be something that:

   -  Links my 3 servers together
   -  Bridges my server at home to my local LAN (allowing me to connect
   from within my home network without client software)
   -  Everything would be nicely encrypted
   -  I could access the same VPN from remote locations like coffee
   shops, and route my Internet traffic out of one of the servers in the data
   center (or my house if I have to, but the connection to my production
   servers is obviously much faster)

Thanks for any suggestions! :-)

-Jason