[lug] Music manager

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Jun 16 20:40:50 MDT 2006

I'm looking for a good music jukebox that stores music centrally but can play
and interface on any remote machine (with a 100 GB collection).  My current
solution (madman running at each station with the collection accessed over
NFS) works, but is lacking in a lot of ways.  I've heard good things about
Amarok, but never been able to get it to work (the version in Debian stable
crashes loading my collection, and I can't get any of the backports to
install).  When I last evaluated all the jukeboxes I could find, madman was
one of the only ones I found that didn't crash on a very large collection.
The other ones that didn't crash were still so buggy they were nearly unusable
(netjuke comes to mind), so madman was really the only thing in Debian that
worked for me.

Any suggestions?  Debian should have another stable in another year and a half
or so, should I just wait for Amarok to work in Debian?