[lug] Ultimate window manager

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 22:36:29 MDT 2006

On 6/16/06, Daniel Webb <lists at danielwebb.us> wrote:

[ snips ]

> [Long boring ramble lies below.  You have been warned.]
>
> I spent all day configuring the ratpoison window manager.  I've finally found
> "the one".  This is like the difference between Vim and nano.  For all but a
> few tasks, KDE, Gnome, MS Windows, and Mac OSX, put their energy in the wrong
> place for a power user.  For most tasks I do, a single full-screen window is
> the best way to work.  No widgets, no flashing interruptions, no weather
> forecast, no system monitor, no clock.  Ratpoison is simple: every window is
> full-screen (although if you want you can split in various ways like with Vim
> or screen).

> Ramble done!

A fine ramble, but to each his own [rat or otherwise] poison!

I've come to a different conclusion after many years of alternatives:
I don't much care which window manager I use (I've used KDE, GNOME,
XFCE[n], ICEWM, [XXX]BOX), but it needs multiple workspaces since I
like to keep a Browser (Firefox or Seamonkey) on WS1, some xterm
equivalents (varies by WM) on WS2, and other stuff on WS3.... Oh, and
preferably an easily accessible run function (really pxxxes me off
that GNOME doesn't provide one).

I have to agree about Apache and Postgres and Vim (sigh, I really
liked Beaver but it's no longer maintained), but I no longer have a
need for a local email program - that's why $DEITY created gmail.

ymmv,

--
Collins Richey