[lug] Music manager

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 10:55:44 MDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Daniel Webb <lists at danielwebb.us> wrote:

> > > Ech.  Been there.  I'll wait.
> >
> > Tried Ubuntu?
>
> Not yet, although I've considered it.  Most of the time, I actually like the
> fact that I can count on not being forced to upgrade very often and thus delay
> the headaches that go along with that.  It does get a little tough towards the
> end of the Debian stable cycle though.
>
> Debian stable definitely isn't bug free, so how does Ubuntu compare in regards
> to stability and bug-riddenness?  If I understand right, they're just doing
> what Debian is doing (starting with unstable, freezing that and working the
> bugs out) but on an accellerated schedule, right?  If so, either they work
> less of the bugs out or they do a better job than Debian, either of which I
> could believe.

"Better job than Debian" - No one can answer that question, really.
Debian itself is a whole different animal than the oldie-mouldy Debian
of only a few years ago. Ubuntu was founded and really took off just
about the time that Debian discovered the 20th Century (yes, I know
folks, this is the 21st century.

I've experimented briefly with Etch/Testing and found it to be quite
likable. OTOH, I've been running Kubuntu Dapper since the early
development days (about Jan 2006), and it's been rock solid except
(there's always an except) for CUPS, and that's not the fault of
Debian/Ubunutu. Ubuntu is the one distro (YMMV) where everything just
works for me. They (and Debian, of course) have released a s###tpot of
fixes in the past few months.

<rant>
CUPS is the FOSS poster child for the release then test philosophy,
and it has been true to form in the past few months. I managed to find
one clean dot release and got my Epson all-in-one configured, and I
wouldn't touch the setup with a fork now.
</rant>

--
Collins Richey