[lug] Music manager

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Mon Jun 19 10:39:48 MDT 2006

>>>>> "Sean" == Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> writes:

Sean> You know there are software players out there that will emulate
Sean> the [SqueezeBox]?  I haven't use them except for playing with
Sean> the java one a bit.  I have 2 of the hardware devices, and am
Sean> happy with them plus the server software, but it does crash
Sean> regularly.  Like every other week.  I like the solution.

Hm.  I don't know if my server has ever crashed; it does go out to
lunch for a minute or two at a time, but only when I'm asking it to do
something significant.  Which it should still be able to handle, but
I'm willing to cut it that much slack.

The software emulator has some rough edges as well, but for straight-
forward listening, it works great.  I've seen it get confused if I
skip ahead and then back too quickly, or too near the end of a track;
also, if I leave it on pause overnight, unpausing will often just play
to the end of the current track and then go into a stealth pause mode
again.  Skipping forward tends to fix it.

My main reasons for liking the software are:

1. It handles my collection (150GB, 33k tracks) fairly gracefully.  At
   the time I first installed this, none of the desktop solutions
   could handle that.

2. I have one of the hardware players as well; even though it's of a
   much earlier generation, I'm still extremely happy with it.

3. SlimDevices has stood behind their product and software, even when
   it was being directly ripped off by competitors (take a look at the
   display on a Roku Soundbridge sometime).

t.