[lug] Logout of Samba Share (from XP)

Ben bluey at iguanaworks.net
Mon Jun 26 15:08:35 MDT 2006

How can I logout of a samba share from Windows XP?

I've got a samba 3.0.14 running on debian sarge in user=security mode.
When I to file run "\\server" from a windows XP client, I get prompted
for a username / password and everything works fine. If I run "net use"
on the XP machine it may or may not show the connection to the server.
(Don't know what affects that -- what shares I'm connected to?). But if
I run "net use * /del" it disconnects from all the shares it sees. After
this "net use" does not show any connected shares. If, however, I
connect to the samba server (file run "\\server") it doesn't not prompt
for a username / password  but connects as the user from the original
login. Windows is not saving the password -- if I logout from XP and log
back it, I'm asked for a username/password again. Somehow the XP client
is staying connected to the samba server. How can I force a disconnect?

I want to have a batch file on the desktop for users to log out of the
sever. I don't want to use domain logins -- is there a way to force
samba to ask for username/password without logging out the user from XP?

Thanks,

Ben