[lug] Intel 3945 wireless on Fedora Core 5

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 27 00:15:22 MDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:02:17PM -0600, Ken MacFerrin wrote:
>And on a side note, this would be a good reason why I use Gentoo.  One
>"emerge ipw3945" and you're done.

That sword cuts both ways, unfortunately...  Back in March, a friend of
mine was telling me that Gentoo was the distribution I needed to use.  Then
he spent 4+ hours trying to get suspend working, which was EXACTLY the same
model ThinkPad as I have.  Mine worked out of the box on both FC* and
Ubuntu...  He was building new kernels and changing USE flags and just not
having much luck.

As far as the Intel wireless cards go, the drivers are included in FC*, you
just have to download the firmware from the sourceforge project page, and
put it in /lib/firmware, and off you go...  I think D. is running into
problems primarily because he's building his own kernel.

I try to stick with the stock kernels wherever possible, and it's pretty
rare where it's not possible to stick with the stock kernel.

Sean
--
 Windows NT: From the people who brought you 640K and EDLIN
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/