[lug] Hostname, Knoppix, where does it come from?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jun 28 17:44:25 MDT 2006

Bob Collins wrote:
[...]
> bob at matt:~> ping knoppix
>
> PING knoppix.gateway.2wire.net (192.168.0.67) 56(84) bytes of data.
[...]
> I have searched and destroyed every instance of Knoppix on the machine.
> I have also reloaded linux from scratch 3 times. It doesn't seem to
> effect the operation and I can ssh to and from it.

If you don't know what's broke, reinstalling probably won't fix it.

What are you using for name resolution on the machine doing the ping?  Try:

host -v knoppix

and it will tell you what DNS it's asking.  You can also check the hosts
line in /etc/nsswitch and /etc/hosts.  All on the machine sending the
ping.  The machine you're pinging isn't involved unless you're using
some zeroconf magic.

Dave