[lug] Hostname, Knoppix, where does it come from?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Jun 28 18:35:11 MDT 2006

> > ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> > homeportal.gateway.2wire.net. 41728 IN  A       192.168.0.1
> >
> > Received 150 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53 in 15 ms
> > Trying "Knoppix.gateway.2wire.net"
> > Host Knoppix.gateway.2wire.net not found: 4(NOTIMP)
> > Received 43 bytes from 192.168.0.1#53 in 1 ms
> > bob at matt:~>
> >
> > Dave, thanks for your help.
> >

> This smacks of a dhcp/dns server with auto-update turned on.  Knoppix
> asked for a dhcp assignment, got one, then told the DNS server, "Hi I'm
> Knoppix, remember me" and the DNS server obliged.  Apparently, it was a
> memorable exchange.  That'd be my guess anyway.
>
> Hugh

Out of curiousity, I looked at www.2wire.com and it appears that they
provide the DSL modem/router in an all in one package.  They sell it as
useful to the DSL provider because the provider can control it.  It's
doing NAT for you, so it is more difficult to run your own NAT device
behind it.  I'd be reluctant to let the DSL provider that far in to my
home network.

I didn't see anything in the manual to confirm/deny my guess from above.
If the machine is dual boot windows/linux, you could test that it was
auto-updating dns by changing the hostname in windows and making sure
that the dns self-registration (or whatever it's called) box is checked.

Hugh