[lug] Hostname, Knoppix, where does it come from?

Bob Collins bcollins at peakpeak.com
Thu Jun 29 21:13:53 MDT 2006

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Bob Collins wrote:
>
>> Ed Moxley wrote:
>>> Do you really want the box to be called linux.local? You might try
>>> changing back to dhcp from the static config and changing the host
>>> name to a single name like linuxwhatever (without the dot) and see
>>> if the Knoppix name goes away.
>> Linux is not a good name for a computer box, but it has had that name
>> for many years. All of the computers on my local area network have
>> the the box_name.domain_name where domain_name is local. I add the
>> .local to linux in the email because of the other meanings for linux,
>> which makes it confusing.
>>
>> Tech support at peakpeak.com answered my email by saying I should
>> contact Novell/SuSE tech support. I copied another person there who
>> seems to know a little more about linux and what is going on, but I
>> really don't expect much help from peakpeak.com.
>>
>> I should have checked them out a little better, but I am sure they
>> are not as bad as msm.com, the Qwest default internet provider.
>>
>> Thank you all for your help.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Bob,
>
> Here's my 3AM comments.  Hope they're not too rambling and make at
> least a little sense to you after posting at this horrible hour.
> (Can't sleep.)
>
> From many years of experience with DNS -- and making some assumptions
> about how your 2wire brand router works, I'd say the following happened:
>
> First off, your router is apparently acting as your local DNS server
> for anything on your internal LAN subnet, and it hands out it's own IP
> address for serving DNS requests in the initial DHCP request from your
> clients.  (This is pretty easy to check - if all your DHCP clients
> show your router's internal IP address as their DNS server, that's
> what it's doing.)  MANY small router/firewalls do this nowadays to
> make setup easy for everyone - no more setting up a DNS server in the
> router - it just proxy's the requests.
>
> You booted Knoppix and its DHCP client has the relatively (many years,
> but...) new feature turned on that not only asks the router for an
> internal private IP address, but also sends a DNS update packet using
> it's machine name to the router.
>
> Your router now believes that's the name of the machine on that
> particular internal IP address.  It also appears that your router
> "splits" your DNS and keeps track of machine names internally using
> the 2wire.com domain name internally also.  (You don't own or operate
> the 2wire.com domain and theoretically should have no possible way to
> update/add/change it.  So assuming 2wire isn't doing some kind of free
> dynamic DNS service for all of their routers -- which I very highly
> doubt -- this naming phenomenon is limted to your local LAN behind the
> 2wire router.  No one "on the Internet" can see or use any of the DNS
> names you've mentioned from the outside world of the Internet itself.)

> [...]
Nate,

Thank you for your words of wisdom. It must be the practice you had
getting ready for finals. You seemed lucid to me. I decided to change
the range of DHCP addresses and eliminate the old addresses. This seems
to have fixed the problem, if you can call it a problem.

I don't think the DSL modem can forget an address and what it learns
about it. Even if it is wrong.

As for the reason I care about it, I suppose I am more than a little
anal retentive.

Thanks to everyone who offered help. I appreciate it.

Bob