[lug] More on slimserver and AJAX

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sat Jul 1 23:24:55 MDT 2006

I'm using softsqueeze/slimserver now on my old laptop at a house in the
mountains with 1-5 seconds latency from the server.  Just cranked the buffer
on softsqueeze, turned on bandwidth limiting on the server, and everything
works just like at home except the control web page is quite laggy, as
expected.  I was already using it over OpenVPN even on my LAN (makes it stable
since I have a flakey partial wireless LAN), so it didn't even require any
configuration changes of any kind.  Awesome.

Something odd, though:  I use the web-based control to choose tracks, change
tracks, change volume and so on instead of the softsqueeze interface.  Until
the control pages loads, everything is normal, so I know I am running firefox
locally and not as a remote X application.  But once the control page loads,
it's like the whole application is running across the remote connection.  Even
things like clicking the top menu buttons lags as if it was transmitting them
across the network and back.  Even if I open a new tab this behavior happens
in the new tab too.  I have another firefox open in another profile (where I'm
typing now) and it doesn't lag.  Is that normal for javascript to be able to
take over the whole browser like that?