[lug] Seeking recommendations on multifunction printer/scanner/etc

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Mon Jul 3 09:00:14 MDT 2006

bof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am seeking recommendations for a multifunction laser printer/scanner
> (with or without fax) that will work under Linux.
>
> Anyone have any experiences that they would pass on?
I have a Brother 7820N setup. It has postscript emulation so you just
need the PPD to print. This is a b/w laser, usb+network model, 600x600,
w/ ADF, claimed 20 ppm. Brother has a binary only sane driver. I just finished
getting the network scanning working last night.

Print and copy quality is good. We need to occasionaly (3 weeks or so)
power cycle the printer so it will wake up and listen to the network.
Other than that we haven't had any complaints.

The retail price wass about $350, there have been rebates for $50
on it.

If you are willing to use Brother's binary only print drivers and setup
lpd emulation in cups, some of the cheaper models may also work. E.g.
DCP 7020 - usb, b/w laser w/ ADF. The sane drivers are supposed to support
that model too.