[lug] Seeking recommendations on multifunction printer/scanner/etc

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jul 3 09:47:02 MDT 2006

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> bof wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I am seeking recommendations for a multifunction laser printer/scanner
>>(with or without fax) that will work under Linux.
>>
>>Anyone have any experiences that they would pass on?
>
> I have a Brother 7820N setup. It has postscript emulation so you just
> need the PPD to print. This is a b/w laser, usb+network model, 600x600,
> w/ ADF, claimed 20 ppm. Brother has a binary only sane driver. I just finished
> getting the network scanning working last night.

That sounds nice, although I haven't been impressed with Brother.  The
good news is I've been able to keep them running.  The bad news is it's
harder than it should be (replacing the fuser requires taking the whole
thing apart, but you can get a new fuser and directions).  But that's in
an office environment so maybe not as big a deal at home.

Dave