[lug] More on slimserver and AJAX

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Jul 5 01:55:13 MDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:48:25PM -0600, George Sexton wrote:

> Daniel Webb wrote:

> >it's like the whole application is running across the remote connection.
> >Even things like clicking the top menu buttons lags as if it was
> >transmitting them across the network and back.  Even if I open a new tab
> >this behavior happens
>
> AJAX=Asynchronous Javascript and XML
>
> Yes. A lot of what happens with AJAX is that you activate a control the
> script sends a request to the server, and then it uses the XML return
> from the server to create a user interface.

I didn't realize it could hook into things like the File or Tools menu in
Firefox, though.  That's what I was getting at, because those things were
lagged too, not just stuff within the web page in question.  I thought
javascript could only interact with the stuff within the web page.  If it can
go outside that it could wreak all kinds of havoc!