[lug] Seeking recommendations on multifunction printer/scanner/etc

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Wed Jul 5 02:05:43 MDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:15:57PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:

> I keep hearing that Epson color inks are the best in the industry (this will
> probably start a flame war!).

I've heard for years that they have the best imaging and the best ink.
Unfortunately, the ink dries out in the print head and the whole printer is
ruined (or it might as well be for the money you'll spend getting it working
again).  That was my experience with the last Epson I bought 8 years ago.
Has that changed?

Since then I only buy HP (and preferably older HP laser stuff from when it was
built right).  HP is well supported on Linux.  In the past they were good
about releasing open-source drivers, don't know if it's still true.  It's too
bad about HP though.  Used to be you could buy HP and trust that it would be
built right.  Some of their new stuff is junkier than Lexmark.

Soon Thinkpad will go downhill and there won't be anything reliable left  :(