[lug] Seeking recommendations on multifunction printer/scanner/etc

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 5 18:09:44 MDT 2006

Daniel Webb wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:15:57PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
>

>>I keep hearing that Epson color inks are the best in the industry (this will
>>probably start a flame war!).
>>

>I've heard for years that they have the best imaging and the best ink.
>Unfortunately, the ink dries out in the print head and the whole printer is
>ruined (or it might as well be for the money you'll spend getting it working
>again).  That was my experience with the last Epson I bought 8 years ago.
>Has that changed?

Still true. Let it sit with ink too long,  you can buy a new one. The
ink is a chemical that solidifies. The nozzle of an HP is built into the
refill cartridge, while the nozzle of the Epson is built into the printer.

>Since then I only buy HP (and preferably older HP laser stuff from when it was
>built right).  HP is well supported on Linux.  In the past they were good
>about releasing open-source drivers, don't know if it's still true.  It's too
>bad about HP though.  Used to be you could buy HP and trust that it would be
>built right.  Some of their new stuff is junkier than Lexmark.

Sounds like the one I had that burst into flames when it wasn't even
turned on. Or the one before that just stopped working.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net