[lug] More on slimserver and AJAX

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 5 18:14:13 MDT 2006

Daniel Webb wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:48:25PM -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>

>>Daniel Webb wrote:
>>

>>>it's like the whole application is running across the remote connection.
>>>Even things like clicking the top menu buttons lags as if it was
>>>transmitting them across the network and back.  Even if I open a new tab
>>>this behavior happens
>>>

>>AJAX=Asynchronous Javascript and XML
>>
>>Yes. A lot of what happens with AJAX is that you activate a control the
>>script sends a request to the server, and then it uses the XML return
>>from the server to create a user interface.
>>

>I didn't realize it could hook into things like the File or Tools menu in
>Firefox, though.  That's what I was getting at, because those things were
>lagged too, not just stuff within the web page in question.  I thought
>javascript could only interact with the stuff within the web page.  If it can
>go outside that it could wreak all kinds of havoc!

Much of what you're talking about can just be a lack of threading. Any
single-threaded app that has to switch between components can bog down
on one and stop serving the others. Threading is not just a performance
thing for SMP, it's also about responsiveness. I don't know how finely
threaded any of the javascript/ecmascript is, but it's common to run the
gui in 1 thread even if the rest of the app uses many threads. The
result being that if the loop does not have a way to preempt parts which
are slow, then everything seems to slow down when that one part breaks.
It's a denial of service that doesn't even require javascript to touch
anything else...all it has to do is hold the cpu's attention. E.G., if
you're scaling an image which consumes the entire system ram inside of
gimp, I'd expect mozilla to slow down without gimp having any contact
with mozilla. The same is true among components of a single application.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net