[lug] Getting mail out of the Qwest/MSN mire

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jul 6 20:57:59 MDT 2006

Bear Giles wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> For me it was cheaper to get a static IP than to get an account with
>> email.  But a static IP wil avoid the delivery problems you're having
>> too.
>
> Not necessarily.  It depends on how the netblock is registered.
>
> Comcast offers 'business class' service, but the "permanent" IP
> addresses (which are really long-duration DHCP leases) are in the same
> netblock as regular consumer IP addresses so they're still blocked.

Qwest's are a separate block.  And they put my domain in my IP's PTR
record (well, that took a call to support because their web app was broke).

FWIW, over a year ago I asked Comcast how much a static IP cost (for
business class) because their AUP said no servers without a static IP.
Their answer was, "we don't do static IPs so I guess you can run a
server anyway."  The IP hasn't ever changed even though it is assigned
by DHCP.

Dave