[lug] Getting mail out of the Qwest/MSN mire

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jul 6 21:12:44 MDT 2006

John Bray wrote:
> Qwest don't sent you a helpful bit of paper, they send you a Windows CD.
> That craps all over your settings while it sets things up, so I'm reluctant
> to get it out again. There is no documentation on the Qwest site about this
> either.

Well, it may be MSN docs you need to look at if that's the email address
you got.  Since you have an account you may be able to find something on
their support site.

Worst case you can let the CD configure things for you and then look at
the settings.  If you can't figure it out ask back and I'm sure we can help.

If you're really set on using your friend's server read the docs for it.
  Both Exim and Postfix should have fairly easy directions, or else
Google knows.  If your friend's computer uses sendmail just don't
bother--you'll never get it and you'll probably break everything it's
doing now in the process.  (No, I'm just kidding.  You can probably find
the docs for sendmail the same as the others, it'll just be more arcane.)

Dave