[lug] Network connection dying mysteriously

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Fri Jul 7 15:27:32 MDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:46:28AM -0600, siegfried wrote:

> My network card is not a separate card, it is on the mother board. I run
> marvel drivers for my NIC card.
>
> I suppose I could get a separate NIC card and plug that in and see if it
> fixes the problem. Uggg.. Any other ideas?

If nothing easy works try that.  I have an external NIC in my server right now
because of nearly the same problem.  Seems like internal NICs, sound cards,
and so on tend to be cheaply made or have poor driver support in Linux.  I
definitely research motherboards now before I buy them.  Often I just go into
the BIOS when I first build the computer and turn off all the built-in
perhipherals.  Many headaches can be traced to those things.