[lug] Getting mail out of the Qwest/MSN mire

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:49:56 MDT 2006

On 7/7/06, Bear Giles <bgiles at coyotesong.com> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > Ever so often I find one of those loathsome purist types who refuses
> > my connection just because I have a Comcast hosted service, but I can
> > forget about them pretty rapidly!
>

> Why are you calling them "purists"?  Purists would accept connections
> from anyone.  These are pragmatists.

I could replay this conversation word for word from any number of other lists.

A purist (I have a few spicier terms in mind) in my terminology is
someone who sees spam from a range of addresses and blocks these
including any innocent bystanders (myself) who happen to be in the
range. I fully understand the why of the action, but I choose to
forget about these purists rather rapidly, and I don't encounter them
often.

Fortunately most services appear to do content blocking rather rthan
mowing down everything in sight in a particular range. I'm sure it
must be extremely difficult for legitimate internet users from Russia
or the far east who get blocked along with the big spam sources that
originate in that part of the world..

In short, I understand the practice, but I despise it. Most FOSS types
stick up for the little guy, but these #$@!'s (oops I mean purists)
could not care less how many little guys bite the dust as long as
their spam counts drop.

--
Collins Richey