[lug] Re: Getting mail out of the Qwest/MSN mire

John Bray johnbray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 23:01:17 MDT 2006

sendmail is famously complex, but even postfix is very confusing.
There are lots of possibilities which you really need explained in a
book, but who wants to read a book about mailservers? The recipe
approach didn't help, and I only really got my setup working by trial
and error. What is needed is a GUI to guide you through the process.
They do exist, but I've never tried them.

Introducing encryption and certification would make things much worse.
Apart from ssh, that whole area is woefully explained, and you need to
read several books, and unlike some people here I suspect, I don't
want to read computer books of an evening. The government may even be
keen on introducing complicated standards to force out the small guy.
Its much easier for the NSA to subpoena the big guys, and not all
companies have the balls of Google to resist.

PGP authentication has been available for years, but a very small
fraction of people sign their mails other than with

John.