[lug] Kernel compile -devfs

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Mon Jul 17 20:27:16 MDT 2006

I found both those links as well. I do have /dev/console , but for fun i
rm'ed it and remade , same result.

more background info:

Im using kernel source i got from debian. I used make-kpkg
to make a deb and an initrd image.

I only get the "cant find dev/console" issue when i boot the
kernels i made. When i boot the SMP kernel-image I downloaded
It hangs and says my sata drives are timing out , thus it cant
load the root file system. If i boot the kernel my install came with,
well , it boots and runs with one cpu reconized.

I even took the config file for the stock kernel from /boot
and used it as my config file for one of the new kernels
I build (2.6.17.4 iirc - box is at work) ... same problem.

Anyway , I have tried so much and read so much today
I feel I have lost the real issue and Im just spinning my wheels.

My plan for tomorrow:

Go get an Intel box - or possibly some pata drives

Suggestions anyone?

thanks,
jd