[lug] CUPS question

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jul 19 19:14:25 MDT 2006

I've been setting up a color laserjet printer today (review probably to
follow) and have been having problems with CUPS.  I eventually thought
to verify that everything had stopped when I shut down the CUPS
system... and discovered that there were three daemons hanging around.
(And probably interfering with subsequent attempts to reconfigure the
print drivers -- I haven't been able to get anything to the printer in
over an hour.)

Even kill -9 won't kill them.

My first, second and third gut reaction is to wipe CUPS off the earth.
Or at least off my system.

But I wanted feedback from the community.  I know that many people think
that CUPS is much better than LPRng, but I'm underwhelmed to say the least.

Bear