[lug] CUPS question

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jul 20 08:25:34 MDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 06:46:31AM -0600, bgiles at coyotesong.com wrote:
>The bottom line is that it comes down to your needs.  If it's mostly
>printed material with some color (e.g., syntax coloring, UML diagrams,
>accent colors in reports, logos, and the occasional picture) a laser

One of the things I really like about the color laser is that the "ink"
doesn't expire nearly as quickly.  We had this Brother MFC that we mostly
used as a fax machine, and we'd regularly have to replace the 3 color
cartridges even though we rarely used them.  The printer wouldn't print
black if the color cartridges needed replacing.  Total pain.

We've only had the color laser for 7 months now, but ISTR that we had to
replace the color cartridges in the other printer about twice a year.

Funny thing is, now that we have a good color printer, we've been using it
a lot more.  At PyCon we printed 400 brochures on the laser, which we never
would have done on the inkjet because of the time, smearing, etc.  We're
also sponsoring the Vancouver Python Workshop, and have a few hundred going
out to them for attendees.  They include color and several photos.

I'm fairly happy with the laser color for photos, but I'm also not very
demanding.  For the brochures, printed on heavy weight glossy brochure
paper, it looks just great for my tastes.

We'll probably have to replace the toner by the end of the year, but even
then it's not too bad.  I wouldn't mind if more of my printings came out in
B&W, things like receipts for online purchases have no reason to come out
in all these colors, printing google maps and stuff are nice to have color.

Sean
--
 I keep just enough vi knowledge in my head so that I can edit a Makefile
 and build Emacs.  -- Tony Foiani, 1999