[lug] X11 on RHEL configuration

Andrew GIlmore agilmore at wirelessbeehive.com
Thu Jul 20 11:20:12 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 10:20 -0600, Dave Pitts wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> Well, I've got a new gig since May hacking on RH Enterprise Linux
> systems. And I've a question
> concerning X11. I've been tring to export an X session from my laptop
> (running FC5) to my system
> here at the office (running RHEL). A little digging has shown that port
> 6000 is not up on the RHEL
> system. After googling and drawing a blank (or at least nothing usable),
> I thought I'd ask the list.
> How do I get the port to come up? And X11 listening? As these are
> internal systems, there are no
> firewall issues to deal with.

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of responses, but in general, just plain X
communication over TCP is frowned upon as a security risk. Therefore,
many distributions disable this. Check /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf in the
security section, DisallowTCP setting.

The better way to do this is to enable X11 forwarding with SSH, and then
everything will work as the same user. If you change users, you have to
handle xauthority settings appropriately.

Andrew