[lug] another cdrom verification strategy

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Jul 23 16:07:17 MDT 2006

Hmm, I don't know what the weaknesses of this are, but since it was a
topic a while back, thought I'd throw it in. I've been using it in the
last few days (used to use it and no media ever passed, but recent
media...Taiyo Yuden...have all succeeded).

What I did was take an sha1sum of the iso I used to burn the cd. Then
recreate the iso via:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=test.iso bs=512

And then do sha1sum on the test.iso. If it matches, it's good.

dd seems fairly unforgiving of track errors, I'm not sure how much the
system will do to try and deal with bad tracks when reading raw data via dd.

FYI, I have not burned much media yet, but I have yet to have a single
failure of DVD's of Taiyo Yuden (this was one of the recent topics as
well...people had a lot of experience with Taiyo Yuden cd-r, but not
much with the DVDs...so far the DVDs seem fully reliable from this brand).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

PS: I'm wonder how one prints on an inkjettable CD? I don't know of any
inkjets that don't curl the paper in the process of printing, which
means the cd would be destroyed (or the printer). Are there special
inkjets for cd labeling?