[lug] network drives as backup?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jul 24 21:04:56 MDT 2006

I find myself possibly in need of a cheap backup device, and options
like tape drives are way out of my price range. One possibility that I
find interesting are network drives, not the expensive RAID stuff, but
simple things like the LinkSys EFG120/EFG250 or NSLU2.

I hesitate though, as I suspect there are lots of gotchas. For example,
the specs seem to indicate that they run a windows filesystem, and
probably require SAMBA or some such nonsense. It'd also be nice if such
a device had the option of doing DHCP and bootp/PXE, but probably not
many can do this. Any suggestions in this area?

I'm not wild about the idea of using CD's or DVD's as a backup medium,
but if I did, is there a simple way to restore from these, e.g., maybe
amanda software works with this?

I'm actually tempted to just add a removable bay hard drive in such a
way that I could back up data but not do a real restore from it (the
advantage of being able to plug it in to any machine and copy over).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net