[lug] network drives as backup?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jul 24 21:59:26 MDT 2006

NSLU2 is Linux on top of an ext3 filesystem. You're right that it
exports the disk via samba. You can either 'unsling' it (and run
standard binaries built for the original linksys environment) or blow
its mind entirely and run Debian like me.

I have mine set up to provide both NFS and samba (for my work laptop).
If you can set up DHCP and PXE on your desktop you can set it up on the
slug. I have CFS installed but I haven't put it through its paces. I
can't run OpenVPN until I rebuild the kernel, something I don't know how
to do in this environment. (More precisely I can build the kernel, but I
haven't figured out how to tune it for my preferences.)

I tried running a backup daemon (whose name escapes me at the moment),
but it keeps too much in memory so the nightly sync took seven hours.

Amanda hadn't supported CD/DVD media the last time I checked, but it's
been at least a year. Amanda can only back up full partitions.