[lug] network drives as backup?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Mon Jul 24 21:48:04 MDT 2006

D.,
I'm working on exactly what you have in mind. When using the web interface
for the NSLU2, it will format the disks using a special flavor of EXT3. This
is not obvious, however, from using windows explorer (for example). NSLU2
also supports NTFS and standard EXT3 but you have to format them yourself by
disconnecting the drive from the NSLU2 and plugging it directly in to you
desktop's USB.

Is there some reason why DHCP and bootp/PXE won't work with an NSLU2? I was
hoping it would but have not tried it yet. There are lots of problems
however: IDE drives do about 60-70 Mbit/s (according to Seagate tech
support), true USB 2.0 does about 12Mbits/s. Most modern desktop machines
are advertised to have USB 2.0 ports but in fact have USB 1.3 ports and you
have to buy a separate PCI card to get true USB 2.0 ports capable of 12
Mbits/s. USB 1.3 are much slower, maybe about 1 Mbit/s? NSLU2s are going to
be much slower than that. Network booting might not be tractable at these
extremely slow speeds. I'd like to verify this for myself, however.

But if you are just going to do network backup and not boot from it, I'm
hopeful a NSLU2 will be fast enough.

I have not personally tried accessing the NSLU2 disks from linux yet. NSLU2
tech support says this is not a problem.

Siegfried