[lug] another cdrom verification strategy

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jul 25 11:03:02 MDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 04:07:17PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>dd if=/dev/cdrom of=test.iso bs=512

The problem with this is that we ran into a lot of CDs that had marginal
sectors that our CD drive could read, if it spent seconds to minutes on it,
but other drives would have problems with.  This is what we originally used
to verify KRUD CDs, but abandoned it for something that also checked the
time required to read the sectors to determine when there were marginal
problems like this.

Taiyo Yuden discs had few problems, I think we were getting 10 or 20
failures out of 450 discs.

By the way, thanks for the CDs you sent.  It was very kind of you.

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
                 -- Andre Gide