[lug] network drives as backup?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jul 25 11:10:32 MDT 2006

eSATA, xSATA, whatever you want to call it, is very nice too.  Its
faster, and more expensive than USB.

One of the guys here at work ordered up a LaCie 1 TB eSATA backup drive
for the new 1.5 TB file server.  It gets to 1 TB by being a RAID setup
inside.  3 or 4 drives, I think.  There's a little recessed knob to turn
with a screwdriver that sets the RAID type.

The little PCI-e SATA card to drive it wasn't very expensive, either.  I
think you could use internal SATA ports and a long cable, but the card
comes with an external cable and a nice outside port instead of an ugly
hack. :)

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>