[lug] fork from network drives as backup

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 26 20:29:28 MDT 2006

Wow, too many things to reply to! Backup seems to be a popular topic.

Well, it looks like someone hit the nail on the head...backup can't be
answered before knowing how to restore. I'm shifting towards the idea of
backing up home directories, and a few archived files like /etc/ configs
and subversion repositories. But I've never considered that maybe a
scheme that also does backup with the ability to restore to bare drives
(like brand new ones) would be nice. I've done kickstart installs on
Redhat/Fedora, and PXE booting on diskless clusters with full install
via an NFS server.

But...I've never really run into the concept of using bare metal
restores of existing installs via backup. What does it take? Just
something like amanda running on a backup server with a NIC and services
like NFS/bootp/dhcp? Or does this depend on the distribution of linux?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net